Why You Need Coach (or Mentor) To Help You Succeed As An EntrepreneurEston Swaby
As an entrepreneur, it’s exciting to go at it alone and create something on your own, you want to feel as if you are self-made. However, the reality is that, while you have a great idea, you may not know exactly what you should be doing with your business at which times to develop it into a sustainable business.
Check out my article on the 4 Keys to Choosing the Right Business Mentor or Coach
One of the best investment I have made in my career is investing in coaches and mentors.
Here are 6 reasons why you need someone like a mentor or coach:
1. Coaches and Mentors provide information and knowledge. As Benjamin Franklin said, “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” I made a lot of mistakes in my career as a coach and speaker, but I believe the reason why I made so many mistakes and weren’t making any money in my business was because I never invested coaching or mentoring. I never had anyone to guide me and keep me accountable. I had no idea of what to do or who my target market was or running a marketing campaign. That changed when I invested in coaching and was able to tapped into my coaches wealth of knowledge and experience that got me up to speed faster and shortened that learning curve. The right coach or mentor, you can cut your learning curve by many years.
2. They help you to make improvements. The right coach or mentor will able to see where you need to make improvements where we often cannot see. Movie maker George Lucas noted, “Mentors have a way of seeing more of our faults that we would like. It’s the only way we grow.” Coaches are not your friend, they are not there to be your buddy, they are there to help you get results, and I think that is one of the main reasons they are able to see what we often cannot see, not only that but they have the experience and most often have been where you are now. They will always be brutally honest with you and tell you exactly how it is rather than downplay any weaknesses they see in you.
3. Good mentors and coaches never let you settle and become complacent. They will always push you to step outside of your comfort zone, to do the things you are afraid of doing, and to always be stepping higher than you thought you could. One of my coach challenged me to do things I never thought possible and to set the bar higher for myself. In the short time we spent together, I grew a lot. Stepping outside of your comfort zone and consistently raising the bar by setting bigger goals is essential for achieving continual success. Coaches and mentors challenge us to always move forward towards new heights.
4. Mentors are sounding boards so we can bounce ideas off them for an unfiltered opinion. As entrepreneurs we have a lot of ideas of different business ventures and products, but all of them will work or we should be focusing on at this time. A business mentor or coach will be able to help you see which ones have potential and why others are better left alone.
5. Mentors are trusted advisers. In the world of business, it can be hard to know who to trust, coaches and mentors are third-party with no stake in any idea or venture, and so a good mentor or coach will not be afraid to tell you what he or she thinks. Your mentor or coach have your back and is there to help you succeed.
6. Mentors have the experiences you can learn from to prevent making the same mistakes beginners make. As I said earlier, I made a lot of mistakes, and so does every other entrepreneur. But I believe having a mentor or coach will help you to avoid making some of the costly mistakes a lot of new entrepreneurs make in the beginning of their career.Starting a business is challenging enough, so if you can skip doing things the hard way, why wouldn’t you? A mentor has been there, right where you are, and has made numerous mistakes that they can now use as a basis for helping others to skip the devastating effects of not knowing.
I would love to hear from you now. Are you looking for a mentor or do you already have one? How did you seek one out? Please take time to leave a comment and share what value you’ve received from a mentor. If you’ve found this article insightful, please take a moment to share it with your network.
If you want to explore a partnership with me – and learn more about whether my coaching program could be the way to take your business to the next step – just book a FREE STRATEGY SESSION and let’s talk!